Thursday, May 19, 2011

Theory of Relativity


I live in a village in Pasig - in a simple 2-storey house, amidst the towering mansions of my neighbors. Its really depressing driving home from work, passing by their neatly manicured lawns and impressive facades, and ending up in my not-so-impressive driveway.

I spend the nights in the upstairs balcony dreaming of a time when mine would be the most impressive house in the neighborhood, where passersby will gaze in wonder at the large bay windows and imposing columns that dominate the facade. 

On a night, much like any nights, i was in my balcony gazing at the heavens, then suddenly i saw a shooting star cut through the dark sky. You know what they say about shooting stars, so i gave it a go, "I wish i had the biggest and most beautiful house in my neighborhood!" With that, i went inside and tucked myself into bed.

In the morning, much like any morning, i woke up, ate breakfast, took a bath, dressed up for work, entered the garage and slid into the driver's seat of my car. I switched the remote of my garage door on and started backing up.

The moment my car was out of the driveway, my jaw dropped at the sight - shanties and make-shift houses surrounded my now towering, 2-storey house - biggest and most beautiful house in the neighborhood - a neighborhood in the depressed areas of Quezon City.

Wish granted.




6 comments:

Rah said...

Wealth is a way of life, not necessarily having the biggest and most expensive. The really poor people are those who always think they don't have enough even if they already earn more that one can imagine. Mother Theresa was living in the poorest streets of Calcutta, and yet I bet her spiritual and moral wealth is more that what Donald Trump probably has.

kurt said...

people seem to compare themselves to those with more than what they have, but seem to forget there are a lot more with less. nice!

isadora said...

may mga tao talagang hindi makuntento sa kung anong meron sila, akala mo palaging kawawa

an_indecent_mind said...

nice post!

made us realize na minsan sa sobrang taas o layo ng tingin natin, di natin alam kung asan na talaga tayo...

well, sabi nga, ang tao daw e wala talagang kasiyahan...

Anonymous said...

MAY MGA TAO TALAGANG HINDI MARUNONG MAG-APPRECIATE..NASA KANILA NA LAHAT, MAREKLAMO PA..

gisselle K. said...

simple yet deep.. i like your style. keep writing. already subscribed to your post

Protected by Copyscape Online Infringement Checker